Obtaining and Filing Bankruptcy Forms | What to Know

writing in notebook

It is required to fill out the appropriate bankruptcy forms when filing for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy. The packet of forms you will submit is referred to as the bankruptcy petition which will consist of a voluntary petition, forms called “schedules”, and any additional forms required by your local bankruptcy court. To learn more about this process and how to successfully file the correct bankruptcy forms, continue reading and reach out to our experienced Bankruptcy attorney. We would be happy to assist you in this process. Give our firm a call today to learn more about our services and how we can assist you.

Where can I find copies of the bankruptcy forms?

You can find copies of the official bankruptcy forms at the link below:


From there, you will be able to print blank copies of the necessary forms to begin the bankruptcy process. You can also rely on an experienced bankruptcy attorney to obtain the correct bankruptcy forms on your behalf.

Additional Forms and Requirements for Local Court

It is important to note that your local bankruptcy court may require you to file additional forms and have special requirements or files regarding the filing of your petition. To obtain these forms and to learn the new requirements, you should seek out the bankruptcy court clerk or a local bankruptcy attorney who will walk you through the steps. You can also find local forms and requirements on the bankruptcy court’s website that you are specifically filing with. For example, many courts may provide guidelines on the navbar under “Forms”. To find your specific local bankruptcy court’s website, follow the below link:


How can an attorney assist me with this process?

Your attorney will be able to prepare the appropriate forms for your review and signature. They will then file the forms electronically with the court. This will make the process seamless and give you peace of mind knowing your documents are in order.

How can I know which bankruptcy court I should file in?

You can find federal bankruptcy courts across the country which are divided into judicial districts. Each state has at least one judicial district. You can file your forms in the district where you have been living for the greater part of the 180-day period before you file or the district where you are domiciled (where you maintain your home.)

Contact our experienced New York firm

The Law Offices of Allen A. Kolber, Esq. effectively represent clients facing bankruptcy in Rockland County and all of New York State. Our firm understands the stress one can feel when facing a difficult financial future. Our compassionate staff will work to ease your fears and help you make a new start. If you need quality legal support, contact The Law Offices of Allen A. Kolber, Esq.