Evidently, you may be considering filing for bankruptcy if you are undergoing a financial strain. And it may not make sense to add to this financial strain by hiring an attorney for your bankruptcy proceedings. Though, doing so may come with significant benefits. Follow along to find out whether you should file for bankruptcy with or without a Rockland County bankruptcy attorney.
Is it possible to file for bankruptcy without an attorney?
The short answer is, yes, it is possible to file for bankruptcy and go through these proceedings without the assistance of an attorney. But importantly, it is never advisable to take this on by yourself. This is because the bankruptcy process can grow to become greatly complicated, especially for someone who has never gone through it before.
With that being said, below are some benefits that come with hiring a bankruptcy attorney:
- An attorney will help ensure that your bankruptcy process moves along as smoothly as possible (by making sure you hit all the required steps).
- An attorney will help ensure that you are opting for the most appropriate bankruptcy type (Chapter 7 bankruptcy or Chapter 13 bankruptcy).
- An attorney will help ensure that you are protected from creditors (by shielding you from collecting activities and serving as your advocate).
- An attorney will help ensure that your assets are protected as much as possible (this may be the difference between keeping or losing your family home).
What questions should I ask before hiring an attorney?
Once you decide that hiring an attorney may be in your best interest, you must decide which attorney is best for you. When going through the hiring process for your bankruptcy attorney, it may be helpful to ask the following questions:
- Do you primarily practice bankruptcy law?
- Rest assured, our Rockland County bankruptcy attorneys have almost exclusively dealt with bankruptcy cases over the past few decades.
- Am I able to trust sharing this information with you?
- Rest assured, our Rockland County bankruptcy attorneys hold the belief that trust is the cornerstone of an attorney-client relationship. Your legal matters are in good hands, and we are always available to answer any of your questions or concerns.
- What is your ranking on Google?
- Rest assured, The Law Offices of Allen K. Kolber, Esq. maintains a nearly 5-star rating on Google. This is a direct testament to our Rockland County bankruptcy attorneys’ dedication to our clients.
You may ask us the above questions, and many more, at your initial consultation with our firm. There is no harm in scheduling this consultation, as we will offer this to you free of charge. You can schedule it by contacting our firm at 845-547-0682. We are looking forward to working alongside you.